The Punjab State Seed Certification Agency was established in the year 1976 under Section - 8 of Seeds Act-1966 to fulfill the conditions as laid down in National Seeds Projects. This Agency was got registered as independents body on 6.4.1976 under the Registration of Societies Act-1860 and started its independent working w.e.f. 1.9.1976. The administrative office of the Agency is located at Mohali.
The Additional Chief Secretary to Govt. of Punjab, Department of Agriculture is the Chairman of the Governing Board of Punjab State Seed Certification Agency and the Director is the executive officer of the Agency and member secretary of the Governing Board. The other members of the Board are, from Central Seed Certification Board, representatives of Finance Department of Punjab Govt., Department of Agriculture and CCS Punjab Agriculture University, Hisar. In addition to these, there are two seed men, one representative of the farming community and one seed user, which are being nominated by the Punjab Govt. for a period of two years.
The Main function of the agency is to certify, as per prescribed standards, the seeds of crops / varieties notified by the Government of India under section–5 of Seeds Act-1966. The work load of the agency is determined on the basis of area offered by the different seed producers/ organisations in a particular season/year and the agency have to depute its field staff according to the need after a thorough review before the start of season / year, so that the service of the staff is properly utilized.